Thyroid eye disease, or TED, is a condition in which swelling and inflammation occur behind the eyes. If left untreated, it can result in serious vision problems. Fortunately, there are treatments available for thyroid eye disease that can help prevent potential complications. At Executive Eye Care in Houston, TX, our team of professionals is here to provide you with the expertise and resources necessary to get the care you need. Our doctors have extensive experience treating thyroid eye disease and are committed to helping patients regain their vision health. Here's what you need to know about the condition.
Causes of Thyroid Eye Disease
Thyroid eye disease is an autoimmune condition that attacks the eyes' muscles, tissues, and glands. The swelling and inflammation resulting from this condition can damage the muscles and tissues behind the eyes, eventually leading to vision problems. It can cause several symptoms, like watery and dry eyes, blurry vision, eye pain, double vision, and eye pain.
Treating Thyroid Eye Disease
At Eye Associates of Tampa, our doctors are dedicated to providing the most advanced treatment options for thyroid eye disease. Some options include medications to help suppress the thyroid gland's hormone production or surgery to remove tissue. We will explain your options after you have a comprehensive eye exam from an optometrist on our staff.
Although there is no specific cause for TED, there are several risk factors for developing it. They include:
- Smoking: You are eight to ten times more likely to get TED if you are smoking. It also hampers your treatment if you already have the condition.
- Age: Most cases of TED happen to people over the age of 40.
- Gender: Women are more at risk for TED than men.
- Family History: Like any other condition, if you have a family history of TED, you are at greater risk of getting the condition.
- Thyroid Issues: If you have problems with your thyroid, you are more likely to get TED.
- Medications: Some medications can affect your body's hormones which can cause TED.
Contact Executive Eye Care For Thyroid Eye Disease Treatment
At Executive Eye Care in Houston, we are committing to providing you with exceptional eye care. From general checkups to managing eye diseases, we are your top choice to maintain your eye health in the Houston area. Contact us today to book your appointment with an eye doctor from our staff.